Thursday, January 28, 2010

adventures in Nagoyaland!

久しぶりみんな。 Sorry it's been a while, I have a lot less down time than I would like here! Anyway, the good news is, WE'RE BOOKED TO GO TO HOKKAIDO FOR YUKI MATSURI!!! It's a huge winter festival in Sapporo with snow and ice sculptures, I can't help but be excited. And the best part is that ND is paying for it...theoretically. I'd like to know how much attending Nanzan REALLY costs. Sapporo means finally getting out of Nagoya! Not that I mind sticking around here, but I'm really excited to travel. Potential locations for future breaks include Tokyo, Hiroshima, and Okinawa. Maybe we'll even get to all three...

Anyway, so last weekend we went to the zoo! We heard some sketchy things about it, but it only cost $5 to enter and while the cages were a little small, the animals looked alright. The baby elephant even played the harmonica for us and spun some hula hoops around his trunk. It was adorable. We were also pretty psyched for the squirrel exhibit (apparently there are none in Japan), but sadly there was not a squirrel in sight, just a lot of signs telling you not to feed them or let them escape.

Dinner was in Sakae again, some place Xiao's host dad took him to before, and Emily and I failed fantastically at eating our udon. Believe me, eating long noodles with chopsticks is hard!! Then we went on the purple ferris wheel. It is huge and kind of expensive, but definitely worth the view!

The next day I went to a taiko concert with Emily's host family. It was by a kid's group, but they were actually really good! some of them were as young as 2 or 3...I think it was one of the cutest things I've seen in my life. Pictures will be on facebook for sure. :D

And then yesterday was the CJS trip to the Tokugawa art museum and Nagoya Castle! Sadly we didn't have too much time at either place, but it was cool seeing some of the art. Unfortunately, the original Nagoya Castle was destroyed in WW2, along with most of the artifacts inside, and although it has been rebuilt the inside is designed as a museum. They're still working on reconstructing the surrounding buildings. Hopefully I'll get to see a real castle here somewhere. The place did at least have delicious green tea soft serve!

No comments: