Friday, February 17, 2012

Hey Girl.

Frances (the director of the Resettlement program) just walked up to my desk and taped this on the side of my computer. I think every girl in the office has a different one, and I am more or less cackling right now.



This is another one of my favorites…



So for a little background information, the US accepts around 70,000 refugees each year (and before anyone asks, they all have official documents and can apply for green cards a year after they arrive. They also receive loans from the US government for their plane tickets here, which they are expected to pay back over a couple of years.) The UNHCR has three durable solutions for refugees: repatriation to their native country, integration into the country they have fled to, and as a last resort, third country resettlement. Of the 10.5 million refugees worldwide, only about 1% are resettled each year. My agency, Catholic Charities, primarily resettles populations from Bhutan, Burma, Iran, Eritrea, Ethiopia, and Cuba – and no, you don’t have to be Catholic to receive our services, or we wouldn’t have any clients!

Alright, so not a very deep entry, but I'm headed to New Orleans for Mardi Gras in a couple of minutes and I felt the need to share something before I left.

No comments: